What We Do
Our members are actively involved in community affairs, as well as performing their duties for local, state and national DAR activities. The chapter supports many local organizations and recognizes individuals in the community who exemplify the ideals of DAR. Some of our current and past activities include:
- Serving lunch at St. Michael’s Veterans Center on the NSDAR National Day of Service.
- Supporting local WWII veterans going on Honor Flights to Washington, DC. - seeing them off and welcoming them home.
- Donating teddy bears to the KCMO Police Department to be given to children in traumatic situations.
- Providing financial support to Project Dictionary KC to provide dictionaries to area middle school students (first area women’s organization to provide financial support for the project).
- Collecting and donating children’s books to St. Peters Church as part of the chapter’s “Feed the Body, Feed the Mind” literacy initiative. Books are distributed to children when families visit the church’s food pantry.
- Collecting books, coffee, and personal items for veterans in the local VA Hospital.
- Donating Braille flags to the Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired.
- Annually recognizing local students with the DAR American History and Good Citizenship Awards.
- Recognizing history teacher David Dribben (Thomas Hart Benton Middle School, Independence, MO) with the Westport Chapter American History Teacher Award.
- Recognizing local film maker Aimee Larrabee with the NSDAR Entertainment & Media Award for her historical drama “We the People.”.
- Attending area Naturalization Ceremonies to help welcome our new citizens.